Search This Blog

Monday, December 23, 2013

Power From Your Septic Tank, Part 1



I have been putting off writing this post for awhile because someone was negotiating with me about writing it for their blog and paying me. Apparently they gave up on their blog, so I am going to go ahead and write it. Approximately one quarter of Americans live in homes with septic tanks for sewage treatment. A properly operating septic tank uses anaerobic bacteria to digest the sewage. This produces methane gas, one of the worst of greenhouse gases. The treated sewage water is safely allowed to soak into the ground because this process destroys pathogens. It should not be allowed to flow into surface water because it is rich in nutrients but it will produce nice vegetation. The methane is mixed with carbon dioxide and water vapor in what is known as gobar gas. In some third world countries this is utilized for cooking and refrigeration or to power fuel cells for electricity.

I am looking for people to help in fostering a movement to begin the conversion of septic tanks to capture that energy. I will publish more information on the subject in the next few weeks, but I would appreciate any comments on the subject in the meantime.

No comments: