Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Power From My Septic Tank

   Sorry its been a few days since I have posted anything new but I have been busy worrying about my electricity bill.   Sure makes me wish I had solar  cells on my roof and gobar powered fuelcells operating off my    septic system. We have enough wind here in Florida that an electric windmill would be a good investment too.

   Unfortunately septic tank fuel cells don't seem to be designed for  American homes. Most work done on the subject of energy from home  waste is designed for third world extreme rural settings or for commercial waste systems and frequently uses gobar or biogas for heating or cooking or producing fuel for vehicles.

   My first experience with fuel cells came when my father helped my older brother built one for science fair project about 1960.  We used  a   potassium hydroxide solution and  electrodes made from  carbon rods  scavenged from dry-cell batteries. Holes were drilled through the rods.  One rod was simply open to the air and the other was supplied with   butane from a blow-torch bottle. As I remember, the cell was  simply connected to a voltmeter to show that it did produce a voltage.

   Much of the early work on fuel cells was done by scientists who were also working on the development of electrical cells or batteries. This is logical since the primary difference between electrical cells and fuel cells is that  conventional electrochemical cells and fuel cells is that the fuel is built  into the cell and is used up in the conventional cell and is supplied  from outside in the fuel cell and can be replaced continuously. A  rechargeable cell can have the fuel replaced by running an electrical  current in the reverse direction and undoing the chemical process in the  cell.

   The earliest known fuel cells were made around 1839 by William Robert  Grove based on research by Christian Friedrich Schonbien. The first  commercial use of fuel cells was in the U.S. space program for project  Gemini. 
   Some fuel cells use bacteria to produce electricity but are not very  efficient. The one real benefit is that the process yields pure water from wastewater at a very low cost. Australia has done the most work on this   type of fuel cell because of their ability to purify water. 
     
   The use of gobar or biogas to power fuel cells is a much more successful  proposition than bacterial fuel cells. Many manufacturing installations have installed gobar powered fuel cell plants to process waste from their  installation. The cost of these units are coming down and the hope is that  this will lead to the development of small units. Perhaps someday I'll be  able to have my septic tank fuel cell.

No comments: