Search This Blog

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Be Sure You"re Right: Davy Crockett vs. Nike

   When I was young Walt Disney reminded us of the legendary American hero Davy Crockett. One of the things Crockett was known for was his motto "Be sure you're right, then go ahead." In recent years we have been hearing a lot of the motto "Just do it."
    I have actually been told that it is better to do something wrong than to take time to think about what I'm doing, to be sure that I am right. I actually have had several people tell me the same thing. I should point out that they were all small time contractors. I emphasize small time.
    I have also known some very successful people, including contractors and military leaders. They were in the habit of being sure. I have also known many academicians, who tended to try to be sure that they were right. I have also known a number of politicians. They so very often don't give a hoot about whether or not they are correct.
    The senior President Bush and Senator McCain come to mind. For much of their careers they tried to follow a path that they seemed to actually believe in.Then running for the office of President came along. Each of them then spent a few years not seeming to do what they believed in. Bush senior eventually did seem to do what had to be done, and Senator McCain has begun to act for what is right instead of what pleases a handful of radicals.
    Global warming is a real threat. When you concentrate wealth, you diminish wealth. American wealth has been founded on government handouts to business. We the people funded the railroads. The Constitution says that we are supposed to "promote the general welfare." The Federalist Papers says that that means, among other things, what we now know as Social Security and universal health care. By the way, the Bible also says that we should take care of our fellow humans.

No comments: