Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Florida Pain Patients Suffer Prescription Shortages

  Florida's ill conceived crack-down on lax pain prescription laws has had the result of making genuine pain patients suffer.  My elder son was in two auto accidents in recent years, neither of which was his fault.   In fact, one accident occurred when a drunk driver was fleeing another accident while being chased by police. That driver received a prison sentence.

   For a number of years my son  was on tramadol (along with a number of other medications).  His new physician changed his prescription because of concerns about seizures.  The new laws in Florida have made it virtually impossible to get his prescription filled.

   A few months back I was in an automobile accident (I was on a bicycle and was hit by a Deputy pulling out of a side street).  I suffered a whiplash type of injury, and will be in pain until I die.  I was given one prescription for tramadol, but have been told that I will have to rely on Naproxin from now on.  I have found that one 375MG Naproxin and 1 tramadol 50MG per day controls my pain (I am only in pain when up and particularly when at my computer writing, which is my job these days).  I have run out of tramadol, so now I have to rely on Naproxin, and will need to up my dose.  That will put me at risk for stomach problems (any nsaid causes that risk).  I may try supplementing it with Acetaminophen.  My son cannot take Acetaminophen on a regular basis due to liver concerns. I just took a 500MG Acetaminophen and need to take my Naproxen, so I will see how that works.
 
   

No comments: